Urology is responsible for the care of all problems involving the male and female urinary organs including the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, prostate, and urethra; the urinary tract from the kidney to the urethra, which carries the urine from the bladder to the exterior as well as management of adrenal or suprarenal problems. Urology is also responsible for care of the male reproductive organs, including the testis and penis and other surrounding organs. Kidney failure requiring transplantation is also a problem that is handled by the Urologist. Sometimes corrective surgery could take care of obstruction that is responsible for kidney failure.
Urology Practice in Kelina Hospital handles the following:
- Kidney stones.
Laser lithotripsy, ultrasonic lithotripsy, Pneumatic lithotripsy, lithotripsy using the Swiss Lithoclast Master, which combines ultrasonic and pneumatic technology are done using the standard nephroscope (Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy or PCNL), mini-percutaneous nephrolithotomy (mini-perc), flexible ureteronephroscopes also called ureterorenoscopes or videoscopes, semi-rigid uretero-renoscopes. Kelina has several flexible scopes from several of the best companies in the world, including flexible nephroscope and flexible cystoscope. Kidney stones can be taken out without any wound on the body. More than half of our patients go home the same day.
- Enlarged prostate.
We do only minimal access (endoscopic) surgery for prostate, include bipolar TURP and laser vaporization. Recently, we acquired the most powerful laser in the world for Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate. Before now, we have done several Diode laser vaporization in the past. The holmium laser is the best for prostate surgery, especially because the prostate can be removed and sent for histology to confirm that there is no cancer. Bipolar TURP is still regarded as the Gold Standard for prostate surgery. Here in Kelina, we have multiple technologies for dealing with the prostate. None of them requires cutting the body open or creating any wound at all on the body. We hardly do open surgery for prostate in Kelina Hospital. Sometimes enlarged prostate is due to prostate cancer. Sometimes there is no cancer. Whether or not there is cancer would definitely affect choice of treatment or surgery.
- Prostatitis, Prostatodynia and other problems with the Prostate gland.
- Male Infertility, due to watery sperm or any other problem. The commonest cause of watery sperm is low sperm count. The commonest cause of low sperm count is varicocoeles.
- Passage of blood in urine, also called haematuria.
- Painful urination, or dysuria, sometimes due to urethritis.
- Pain in the Scrotum or testis. Patients, especially young boys, need to come to the hospital as an emergency because pain could be due to torsion. If surgery is not done within a matter of minutes, the testis turns black and is damaged irreversibly.
- Intersex or problems hermaphroditism or ambiguous genitalia.
- Inability to pass urine after birth, sometimes due to posterior urethral valves.
- Kidney cancer.
- Bladder cancer.
- Cancer of the testis, scrotum or penis.
- Genital anomalies from birth, such as hypospadias or epispadias.
- Abnormalities of the urinary organs from birth, such as ectopia vesicae, where the urinary bladder is completely exposed to the outside, without any skin cover
- Pain in the flank, on the side of the ribs towards the back. This is where the kidneys are located.
- Urinary retention or failure to pass urine
- Kidney swelling as in hydronephrosis, from obstruction or some other cause, even if there is no cancer.
Kelina Hospital was the first hospital in Africa (according to Lumenis) to acquire the 120 Watts Holmium Laser, P120, Moses Technology. That was in 2018. In one year, we did over 50 Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate(HoLEP) surgeries, all successfully. In West Africa, we were the first hospital to start doing HoLEP.