Urology is a branch of Surgery that handles all urinary problems in men, women and children and all reproductive problems in men, including:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Urinary or kidney stones
- Prostate problems like benign enlargement that comes with age, prostatitis, prostate cancer (which is the commonest cancer seen in Nigeria)
- Male infertility. In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) does not treat infertility, it only bypasses the problem. As much as possible, couples would prefer to have the problem completely solved and have their children naturally. In about half of the cases, infertility in a couple is due to male problems, the commonest of which is low sperm count. The commonest cause of low sperm count is varicocoeles. Varicocoeles are distended, tortuous veins of the pampiniform plexus, which drains blood from the testis. Because they are abnormal, blood flow is sluggish, and testicular nutrition and sperm cell production are impaired. Varicocoeles are so easy to treat. IVF becomes a last resort to the few who do not respond appropriately to treatment. The most effective modality of treatment is surgical.
- Urogenital tumors e.g. cancer of the scrotum, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, cancer of the penis.
- Urinary tract infection (UTI) is one of the most common problems presenting to the Urology Clinic. Urinary Tract Infection is not sexually transmitted and must be differentiated from Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI), also called Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) which is always acquired when there is sexual contact. UTI or STI is not caused by toilet infection as many women claim. But UTI can occur spontaneously, not due to any environmental or sexual exposure. In men, it is always due to a pathological problem in the urinary tract
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Urinary leakages e.g. urinary incontinence, vesico-vaginal fistulas as in some women after childbirth
- Congenital defects of the urinary and reproductive tracts as seen in hermaphrodites, hypospadias, and epispadias. Some of these children look like male children externally but they are female internally. Some look like females externally but they are actually male children. It is important to determine the sex of the baby before a name is given. Sometimes we wait for the genital organs to grow a little more before we do reconstructive surgery at about 2 years of age. Appropriate surgery is done for the child to look like a normal male or female.
- Congenital hernias
- Urogenital trauma e.g. kidney injury, ruptured bladder, urethral injury.
- Kidney Infection
- Penile Curvature
- Genital Injury
- Prostate Inflammation
- Retention of Urine, a condition where the urinary bladder can no longer empty completely
- Cystitis, which could be infective or not due to bladder infection
- Vesico-ureteric reflux
- Urinary Obstruction or any disturbance of the normal flow of urine from the kidney to the outside of the body, often caused by urethral stricture, ureteric stricture or stenosis; ureterocoeles, stone (also called calculus, urolith, urolithiasis). Calculi can occur in any part of the urinary tract and tend to cause a lot of pain.
Ear, Nose and Throat
Our ENT clinic is fully fitted with the modern technology for Ear, Nose and Throat treatment. Our recently acquired equipment provides visibility and access to even the hardest to reach areas of the ear, nose and throat canal. Patients can observe their treatment while the surgeon works and can also leave the hospital with a recording of their treatment.
Portable Endoscope, Flexible Endoscope Camera +Trolley
This is used for rigid otoscopy, rigid and flexible fibreoptic nasendoscopy, indirect and direct, and flexible fibreoptic laryngoscopy. It can also be used for nasal surgeries including polypectomy, septoplasty and oncologic surgeries, endoscopic sinus surgery, laryngeal and pharyngeal surgeries and removal of foreign bodies.
Surgery is the mainstay of our practice. Kelina Hospital has two standard theatres, and over 15 surgeons of various specialties carry out surgical operations in Kelina Hospital. Surgical Services in Abuja are developing rapidly and Kelina Hospital is at the pinnacle of this development, within five years of commencing services, we were doing the following:
- Endoscopic (minimal access) surgery e.g. TURP, TUVP, TURBT, TUIP, Lithotripsy, PCNL, HoLEP
- Laparoscopic surgery for uterine fibroids, appendix, and gallstones.
- Brain Surgery
- Spinal Surgery
- Dental Surgery
- ENT Surgery
- Cosmetic and reconstructive (plastic) surgery
- General Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery .
Hypertension, heart failure, angina, atherosclerosis, cholesterol problems, echocardiography. All medical officers in the hospital are trained to do electrocardiography (ECG).
The following services are available in Internal Medicine in Kelina Hospital:
- Gastroenterology (Liver Cirrhosis, liver failure, fatty liver, Peptic Ulcer Disease, inflammatory bowel diseases and other problems affecting the stomach, liver, pancreas, spleen, and the gastrointestinal tract generally) are managed by the Gatroenterologist. This clinic also takes care of patients with diabetes, liver problems and so on.
- Nephrology is also a part of Internal Medicine. The Nephrologist manages kidney problems that often cause kidney failure, which do not require surgery. Those that can be managed surgically are handled by the Urologist.
- Neurology is a branch of Internal Medicine that handles problems with the brain, spinal cord and nerves. The Neurologist is in charge of problems like stroke, unconsciousness, headaches, loss of memory, numbness in the hands or feet or any part of the body.
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Antenatal clinic holds each Wednesday morning at 10am. There are two Consultant Gynaecologists in Kelina Hospital at the moment. Our labour room has disposable delivery packs, oxygen supply, suction devices and other baby resuscitation equipment. There is a modern delivery bed and CTG machine which helps the labour room team monitor uterine contractions vis–à–vis blood supply to the foetus. Rupture of the uterus from excessive contractions can easily be prevented by using CTG to monitor progress of labour. It also helps to regulate the contractions to just what is required to push out the baby without disturbing the blood flow to the baby. We can monitor multiple labour cases simultaneously.
The following are available in our Radiology Services:
- 630mA,125kVA X-ray machine
- Digitizer, which produces a digital radiographic image instantly on a computer that can be transmitted over the local network or internet.
- GE C-arm for fluoroscopy, which is usually coupled with equipment for lithotripsy
- X-ray processor
- 4D ultrasound scanner, which can give us very clear 4D images even of the yet unborn baby, Doppler and adult echocardiography.
- Echocardiography machine for paediatric patients used to check children that are born with holes in the heart.
- Doppler ultrasound for monitoring blood flow in the major vessels e.g. legs as in patients with deep vein thrombosis.
- We also have a 12-Channel electrocardiography (ECG) machine.
- We have GE MAC 2000 ECG machine which detects cardiac abnormalities by measuring the electrical activity generated by the heart as it contracts.
- 32 Slice CT Scanner, available in Lagos only at the moment.
General and Family Medicine
The Family Physician is in charge of predictive and preventive checkups, infectious diseases, hypertension, diabetes. More complex cases are referred to specialists in various areas affected.
Accident and Emergency
Our hospital in Abuja is not far from Kaduna express road, and we receive accident cases on a daily basis. In Lagos, we have an emergency room that is well well-equipped to receive emergencies. We see road traffic, domestic as well as industrial accident cases. Some patients with burns affecting up to 70% surface area of their skin have survived in Kelina Hospital.
At the moment, the Paediatrician is available on appointment only
The Dermatologist is available on appointment only. The Urologist oversees Dermatology patients because there is a large part of Urology Practice that is actually dermatology. Many patients whose treatment has failed under traditional dermatology care have responded excellently here in Kelina Hospital.
At the moment, Dental Services are available in Abuja only. The Dental clinic offers the following services:
- Basic and surgical tooth extractions
- Root canal treatment
- Crown and bridges
- Aesthetic and cosmetic fillings
- Teeth whitening
- Dental implants
- Braces etc
The Dentist is available round the clock. We have modern and latest dental equipment to provide these services in a sterile environment. The dental unit is fully automated and can provide pictures of procedures before and after treatment.
There is an eye clinic in Abuja that runs Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.