Regular dental teeth cleaning and polishing is the cornerstone for a lifetime of dental health and the best insurance you can have for keeping a healthy and attractive smile!
In order to maintain good oral health, it is vital to visit your dentist every 6 months. Going for your regular check-up helps keep your gums and teeth healthy. It also allows early detection of any problems such as gum disease, dental cavities/tooth decay and oral cancer.
What is Scaling and Polishing (S&P)?
To put it simply,it is the removal of plaque and calculus deposits from around your teeth and gums that cannot be removed by brushing.
Why do you need to do scaling & polishing?
- To remove stains caused by food (coffee / tea) or tobacco.
- To remove tartar or calculus – this helps prevent gum diseases which are the main cause of gum recession, loose teeth and subsequently, tooth loss.
- To allow screening for oral disease like decay and
- To learn about how best to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy.
What is plaque?
- Plaque is a creamish, whitish deposit found on the tooth. It contains a lot of bacteria that causes tooth decay and gum disease.
How to know if you have plaque?
- Run your tongue along the surface of your front teeth? Does it feel rough?
- Now scrap the surface of your Tooth with your finger nail you see any whitish deposit beneath your nails? That’s plaque.
Plaque can be removed by brushing and flossing but some remain behind and harden to form calculus
The structures that hold your teeth firmly to your bone may become affected too and your can lose your teeth.
What are the procedures which are involved in scaling & polishing?
Specialized instruments are used to gently remove plaque and calculus deposits without harming your teeth. The ultrasonic scaler uses vibrations to loosen hardened tartar that sticks to the teeth/in between teeth. Water spray is also used to wash away the debris. There may be a high pitch buzzing sound heard from the scaler during the scaling process.
Polishing is usually carried out after scaling to remove stains and make your teeth feel smooth and shiny. Polishing is done with a soft rubber cup/brush that spins. Prophylaxis paste – a special toothpaste-like material is scooped up into the cup and spun around on the teeth.
Prophyjet polishing uses a pressurized spray of air and water with sodium hydrogencarbonate powder to remove stains, plaque and soft debris from your teeth. It may taste slightly salty.
It is advised that you take your oral health and hygiene seriously as these gum diseases have shown links to other health conditions that can affect your overall health and not just your mouth e.g.
- having low term weight babies in pregnant women,
- infective endocarditis in heart patients
POINTS TO NOTE
- Visit your Dentist for regular check up with scaling and polishing every 6 months
- Clean your mouth at least twice daily, in the morning(preferably after breakfast) and at night before bed.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water after each meal
- Floss daily